Picture this. It’s your wedding day.
Your ceremony was perfect. A room full of people that love you sit at your wedding reception, having just finished an awesome meal, as they wait for the opportunity to celebrate your marriage with their feet and dance the night away. The special dances come and go. Then the moment finally comes. “The dance floor is now open,” your wedding DJ announces. He throws on the Kenny Loggins classic, “Footloose”. No one moves. The momentum of your perfect day has come to an awkward halt. Why aren’t they dancing?
More than likely it’s the same problem that plagued your high school prom. No one wants to be the only one on the dance floor, everyone’s waiting for someone else to be first, and so the awkward moment continues.
How to solve this problem before it starts? Have your wedding DJ start the night with a classic slow song, and announce, “Now that our newlyweds and their parents have shared some special dances, they would like to invite you to join them for one more special dance.” Everyone always gets up. The dance floor is packed. Now when Footloose come on, the easiest thing to do is cut loose and kick off your Sunday shoes.
10 slow songs that start the night off right:
- “Let’s Stay Together” Al Green
- “Let’s Get It On” Marvin Gay
- “Wonderful Tonight” Eric Clapton
- “At Last” Etta James
- “Unchained Melody” The Righteous Brothers
- “Can’t Help Falling in Love” Elvis Presley
- “Have I Told You Lately” Van Morrison
- “Into the Mystic” Van Morrison
- “When a Man Loves a Woman” Michael Bolten
- “Unforgettable” Nat King Cole