Build Your Wedding Reception Timeline
A step-by-step timetable of events to share with your wedding DJ.
Tips For Building Your Wedding Reception Timeline
Regarding your Hall
Brides & grooms have found that the best time to cut their cake is immediately upon walking into the room. If the cake will be served as a dessert course, it should always be cut right away, allowing time for the cake to be plated and served. If the cake will be made available on buffet tables for self-service, although not recommended, it can be cut after dinner.
Avoid the temptation of having too many formal dances. If you want to share a special dance with your grandmother, for example, it is best to do it while guests can also dance. Remember, your guests attention will wander if asked to watch the newlyweds dance with everyone special to them. Our Wedding DJ will keep this moving!
Order of Dances:
- Bride & Groom
- Bridal Party (Including parents, flower girls, etc.)
- Father – Daughter Dance
- Mother – Son Dance
- Open Dance Floor for guests
Who Will Give Speeches and Toasts?
Once the Bridal Party is seated at the head table, toasts. Speeches which accompany toasts should be kept between 2-5 minutes. It is VERY IMPORTANT to do all speeches, toasts and grace consecutively. It is very difficult to interrupt your guests table conversations multiple times. It’s also easier to hear without the clanking of forks during dinner service. Remember to use the timeline and considerations listed here as examples. Tap into the knowledge of wedding professionals to help guide you toward a timeline that works best for your wedding reception.
Wedding Reception Timeline Sample
7:00 - 7:15pm
- Guests are seated. Bridal Party is introduced into the room.
- Bride and Groom enjoy their Grand Entrance.
- Cake is cut.
- Bridal party is seated at head table.
7:15 - 7:30pm
- Toasts are made.
- Grace is said.
7:30 - 8:40pm
Dinner is served.
8:40 - 8:59pm
- Dinner is cleared while Bride & Groom pose for photos and visit with guests.
- Guests are free to mingle, grab drinks, etc.
- DJ gathers bridal party for the special dances.
9:00 - 9:15pm
9:15 - 9:45pm
9:45 - 10:00pm
- Bouquet & garter toss (OPTIONAL)
- Anniversary Dance (OPTIONAL)
10:00pm - 12:00am