22 Sweet Songs to Play During Your Cake Cutting
When selecting wedding reception music, it’s all in the details. For example, have you found a fun song to play during your wedding cake cutting? Probably not! Cutting that tasty slice of heaven will only take few minutes, but it’s one of those wedding reception traditions that everyone will be waiting to see. This is definitely a moment you want to coordinate with your wedding DJ.
Cake Cutting Song Options
You’re probably asking yourself what type of song should I play while we cut the cake? Before you check out our custom Spotify Playlist, consider these details…
- To smash or not to smash. Do you plan on smearing that slice of cake frosting first into your fiance’s face? If you want that fun, silly moment, we suggest an upbeat song!
- Wedding cake as a symbolic detail. The wedding cake can really be a focal point of the wedding reception. (The cake cutting is often one of wedding photographers’ favorite images to capture.) Couples spend a lot of time, money and effort into decorating their wedding cake and transforming their baked goods into part of their wedding decor. If this is the case, a slow-paced song may be a great option to narrate this special moment.
Which Cake Cutting Song Fits Your Wedding?
The wedding DJs at Mike Staff Productions put together a Spotify playlist featuring their favorite cake cutting songs for 2019. Whether you’re looking for something playing on the radio right now, a classic tune or something upbeat and ‘sweet’, you’re sure to find the perfect tune for this special reception moment in our playlist.
- Stuck On You – Meiko
- Better Together – Us The Duo
- Chapel of Love – The Dixie Cups
- Recipe for Love – Harry Connick Jr.
- Silly Love Songs – Wings
- This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) – Natalie Cole
- Sweet Creature – Harry Styles
- I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) – The Four Tops
- Butterflies – Kacey Musgraves
- Shallow – Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper
- Happy Together – The Turtles
- Landslide – Dagny
- Sugar – Maroon 5
- Back to You (Joey Pecararo Remix) – Selena Gomez
- You’re My Best Friend – Queen
- Come and Get Your Love – Redbone
- You Are the Best Thing – Ray LaMontagne
- I Got You Babe – Sonny & Cher
- First Day of My Life – Bright Eyes
- Be My Baby – The Ronnettes
- Sugar, Sugar – The Archies
- Love and Marriage – Frank Sinatra
When Should You Cut Your Wedding Cake?
A very common question during wedding planning is when to cut the wedding cake! The big debate: before or after dinner. Well, if you’ve been to a wedding in the last decade, you’ve probably noticed the cake cutting ceremony is usually performed immediately following the grand entrance, before the wedding party toasts begin.
It’s all about flow & timing — cutting the cake before dinner allows your serving staff to clear and cut the cake during dinner service and have it ready once the dinner plates are clear.
Whenever you decide to cut your cake, your Mike Staff Wedding DJ will know your plans in advance. Your DJ will arrive early and communicate with venue staff to ensure that everyone is on the “same page.”