A 2020 Thanksgiving Message from Mike Staff
In what is surely the most bizarre year of our lives, it can be easy to focus on the things that we don’t have. All of us have experienced some kind of loss and disappointment this year and I would never want to minimize that but today is the day to focus on what we do have and what we’re thankful for.
Gratitude turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity. It makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. So, here’s what I’m thankful for today ….
- My Mom
- Family and great friends
- The power of prayer
- Front line workers & first responders
- Couples who rescheduled their weddings (because love may be postponed, but never canceled)
- The dedication of the Mike Staff Productions team to help clients through these crazy times
- Sunshine and fresh air … and a renewed appreciation for the simple things.
- Running water (something 790 million people in the world don’t have. Think about that!)
- Stores that stocked toilet paper
- Kind people
- The Betsie River and it’s massive salmon
- Dedicated teachers
- America (despite our problems, it’s still the best nation on earth!)
- Our military men & women (and their families)
- The change of the seasons
- JJ Grey & Mofro (great band – check them out!)
- The “Redneck Yacht Club” on Long Lake, Traverse City
- The gift of being passionate about things in life. Life is too short for “ho-hum”
- The great outdoors
- Nurses, doctors, scientists and the entire US healthcare system.
- Time to reflect
- WIFI and the ability to work from home
- Food pantries & shelters, and the incredible volunteers that work them
- Belly laughs
- My pickup truck (does this make me sound like a red-neck? Oh well!)
- Cheap gas prices (even though I’ve only put about 6000 miles on my truck this year).
- Football (even the Detroit Lions!)
- Delivery drivers
- The funny shit people say
- Coffee in the morning (or anytime)
- LOUD music
- Sandy toes
- Tim Ferriss – my favorite author in 2020
- Hunting camp
- Heated blinds at deer camp (we’re spoiled!)
- The selfless vaccine trial participants
- Waiters & waitresses
- My new iPhone 12 (it ROCKS!)
- Hot water to shower with (try NOT using it sometime. Yikes!)
- People who are smart enough NOT to text while driving
- Chicken Wings (and cold beer, of course)
- Big dreams and worthwhile goals
- My dog, Rox – she really does “Rock” (#bestdogever)
- A warm home
- Deep conversations
- Shallow conversations (LOL)
- People who give more than they take
- Oberon shared with friends (even when distanced!)
This too shall pass. Thankfully.
READ MORE: The Pros & Cons of a Thanksgiving Wedding
At Mike Staff Productions, we’ve built our whole business around reclaiming the fun in your wedding planning. Ready to start?