Preparing For Your Engagement Session
Besides being an opportunity to get some great photos of you two, an engagement session lets you practice loosening up so you can be yourself around your wedding photographer. This is a great opportunity to share your creative vision, practice some fun poses, and get ready for close-ups on your big day!
Best of all, an engagement session is an expression of your personality. Choose a location that tells something about the two of you. First dates, proposals, favorite hang outs, all of these can make great spots for the engagement shoot.
- Contact Mike Staff Productions when you are ready to schedule your session.
- Engagement sessions are generally done during week-day afternoons or evenings.
- Your engagement session will be one hour long.
- Select one or two locations.
- Plan for two outfits: casual and formal options.
- Props are encouraged, but not required.
- Relax, this will be fun! The best images come from having a good time.
What To Wear
- Choose simple patterns or solid colors that complement each other.
- Medium to dark shades create a timeless look.
- Soft shades enhance lighter backgrounds.
- Long-sleeved shirts are best since short sleeves can be distracting and sleeveless tops can look too casual.
- If you want to wear a sleeveless shirt, bring a sweater or jacket for some of the images.
- Select small accessories that do not detract, such as simple earrings, pins and necklaces.
- Your shoes will show in some of your images, so it might be best to leave the old sneakers behind.
If your makeup artist for your wedding day offers a trial run of your wedding day look, consider doing so for your engagement session. If you’ll be doing your own makeup, you may want to amp it up a bit.
- Playing up your eyes is great for photos so going a little heavier with your shadow or using false eyelashes can be a great look.
- Glitter products and mineral wear makeup may reflect light in an unnatural way so you might want to use them minimally or not at all.
- Lip gloss is great until you’re outside on a windy day. Choose your lip wear carefully.
How to Personalize Your Engagement Session
When you book a wedding photographer with Mike Staff Productions we allow you to choose a wedding photographer to suit both of your personalities by watching video profiles of our team! Once you’ve chosen a wedding photographer, you can book your engagement session with that same wedding photographer. This gives you the opportunity to get comfortable, prior to your big day. Your photographer will work with you to find a special and personal location and help to include any engagement photo prop ideas you have in the shoot to make your photos uniquely you!
Whether your photos reflect your hobbies, favorite sports team or your furry friend — here are some of our favorite ways to add props and personality to your photos!
For the Sports Fanatic
Your engagement session allows you to truly show your personality, and be less formal than your wedding day photos. Are you a sports fanatic? We’ve seen it all! Photos with the Tiger outside Comerica Park? CHECK! Photos at the Big House in Ann Arbor? CHECK! Photos on Ford Field? CHECK!
You probably won’t be rocking a football jersey at your wedding, so what better time than your engagement session?
For the Romantics
Counting down the days until you say “I do?” Bring a sign with your wedding date to your engagement session! This also comes in handing if you are planning to use your engagement photos for Save-The-Dates or invitations.
You could also bring other personalized signs like something with your new last name, the dates you met and got engaged, or even your favorite love quote.
Luckily, natures provides some of the best props for your engagement session! Embrace the weather and the season in your photos. One of our favorites is the sweet photo of the engaged couple’s hands holding a leaf or snow, showing off that stunning engagement ring.
Pets have a special place in our hearts, we get that, which is why bringing your furry friend to your engagement session is always welcome!
If you choose to include your pets in your engagement photos, keep this in mind when choosing a wedding photography location. You’ll want to choose somewhere not too busy and somewhere that welcomes pets!
Have a lot of Detroit pride? Visit some of the historic venues or art-filled alleys. Is the place you first met a special memory? Visit there for your engagement session. Your engagement session allows you to tell the story of you. READ MORE: Instagram Worthy Wedding Photography Locations
What to Expect After Your Engagement Session
2 Weeks After Your Session
You will receive an email link to your online digital proof gallery. You may share your link and password with family and friends if you like.
All proof images from your online gallery will be included on your flash drive. The files come with full personal copyrights for you to share, print and use the files as you wish. If your wedding photography package included additional engagement products or you choose to add them on before your engagement session, our design department will contact you with further information.
Engagement Session Inspiration
At Mike Staff Productions, we’ve built our whole business around reclaiming the fun in your wedding planning. Ready to start?
The Mike Staff Productions Guarantee
At Mike Staff Productions, we trust that you’ll choose the perfect person to work with because you know what you want on your wedding day! There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all wedding DJ, photographer or videographer – we get that, that’s why we invite you to be a part of the planning process.
Let’s bring your wedding vision to life!