Find Your Perfect Wedding Photographer
A Wedding Photographer that knows your style, your personality & your vision
Finding your perfect wedding photographer can be exhausting.
Scouring Instagram hashtags. Browsing portfolios. Playing email tag with every wedding photographer you like… just hoping you find one that checks all the boxes (including budget).
Thankfully, we’ve done the hard part for you. We’ve spent years hand-picking, certifying, and developing a team of the most creative, highly experienced, and service-minded wedding photographers in Metro Detroit — all with their own unique personality and style.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this guide:
- 7 Ways to Know You’re Hiring the RIGHT Wedding Photographer
- The #1 Complaint Couples Have about Wedding Photographers
- Instagram Worthy Photography Locations
- Questions You Should Ask Your Wedding Photographer (and the answers!)
- Do You Need a Second Photographer?
- Why You NEED a Wedding Album
Love Your Wedding Photographer
The Hidden Trap in Wedding Photography
Do you know the #1 complaint couples have when it comes to wedding photography?
Bad images? Nope. The wedding photographer wasn’t easy to get along with? Uh-uh. It was too expensive? A couple’s biggest disappointment and frustration with their wedding photography usually isn’t even “on the radar” until it’s too late. Ready for it?
The #1 complaint couples have with their wedding photographer is HOW LONG is takes to get their wedding photos back after the wedding.
The dirty little secret is that it’s not uncommon for couples to have to wait 6, 8, even 10 months before getting their final images, flash drive and/or album back. 10 MONTHS! That’s nearly a YEAR after your wedding.
To avoid the enormous frustration, disappointment – not to mention endless phone calls, emails and texts begging to see your wedding pictures – here’s what you do:
Ask your photographer to give you a specific deadline for getting your images back. Then, ask them to GUARANTEE it in writing (prepare yourself for a blank stare back when you ask this).
Not having guaranteed deadlines in your contract is a wedding photography trap! They’ve got you. They’ve got your money. They’ve got all the time in the world to edit because they didn’t have to promise you when you’d get your photos back.
The Mike Staff Productions Guarantee
At Mike Staff Productions, we trust that you’ll choose the perfect person to work with because you know what you want on your wedding day! There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all wedding photographer – we get that, that’s why we invite you to be a part of the process during your appointment.
Choose Your Wedding Photographers
- Watch video profiles of our award-winning Photographers in action.
- Get familiar with their style, artistry, and personality
- View examples of their work
Let’s bring your wedding vision to life!
Do You Need a Second Wedding Photographer?
When our Mike Staff Productions team sits down with brides, grooms and/or their families, one of the top questions we get asked is: ‘Do we really need a second wedding photographer?’ The answer…. It depends.
While deciding whether or not you want one or two professional photographers documenting your day is 100% your personal preference (based on budget, timeline and what kind of photos you want), lets explain the difference to hopefully make your decision easier.
Bottom line is this: Every wedding, every couple and everyone’s ‘wants’ are different. So, let’s break down your wedding day to *show* you how two photographers can make an impact and where one is enough.
Instagram Worthy Photography Locations
You’re engaged, you’re in love & now you’re probably looking for a little inspiration when it comes to wedding photography and maybe even engagement photos, right?
Choose a location that tells something about the two of you. First dates, your proposal spot, favorite hang outs… all of these places can make great, meaningful locations for engagement photos.
But if you’re looking for some more Instagram worthy inspiration – the team at Mike Staff Productions is here to help – here are some of our favorite spots!
Questions You Should Ask Your Wedding Photographer
How can I view your portfolio?
- Online galleries are a convenient option, but don’t always tell the whole story. If you are considering an album purchase, it is best to view in person so you can inspect the materials and designs.
Will I receive my high resolution images on a flash drive? Do I own the rights?
- Make sure that the flash drive includes high resolution images and a personal copyright release. Without one, you can not print your own images!.
Does the photographer work with the DJs, videographers, hall managers and other wedding professionals on your team?
- Ask how well they know some of your other vendors and if they have worked with them. It is easy to overlook the importance of this upfront, but it will have a major impact on your wedding day, and on the quality of your services. Read about the Mike Staff Productions Team Approach.
Are we allowed to submit our own shot list? Can you help me develop one?
- Beware of photographers that do not ask for your input, or act as if they know what you want without asking. Many wedding photographers take the approach that “they know best” and the result is frustrated couples and disappointing pictures.
What attire will you wear to the wedding?
- A professional photographer should be dressed in professional business attire.
Is there someone to replace the photographer in case of emergency?
- Accidents & emergencies happen! Make sure that there is an experienced backup wedding photographer who is on call and standing by in the event of unforeseen circumstances NOTE: Mike Staff Productions pay photographers to be on-call each weekend.
Will you bring back-up cameras, lenses and other gear to the wedding?
- You want to be sure that your photographer has planned for the unexpected.
Are you insured?
- Do not hire a company that doesn’t have at least $1,000,000 of coverage.
How long will it take to receive my proofs?
- Is another meeting necessary? Online image proofs and album designs make it convenient for you to view your wedding day images without another time consuming meeting. Proofs should be available to view within about a month of your wedding day.e.
Do You Need a Wedding Album?
It’s a priceless feeling when you hold your wedding day in your hands. Your wedding album is a visual reminder of every moment, each emotion and every detail of your wedding day, bringing it to life in a way a flash drive of images can’t. You’ll return to your wedding album at family gatherings, anniversaries, and perhaps with your children one day. Isn’t that better than crowding around the screen of your phone showing off the best day ever?
Mike Staff Productions wedding albums are high-quality art pieces, that combine tradition with modern design. Each album offers personalization choices in textiles and leathers, cover materials, embossing, leather etching and, of course, a personal album designer to guide you throughout the process.
Preserve Your Wedding Memories
Why Mike Staff Productions?
We’ve created a crazy-effective team approach to save you time, money and stress.
When you hire our team, you get:
We understand most couples don’t have a sky’s-the-limit budget. And we don’t think that should get in the way of your perfect day.
Have the wedding you want,without blowing your budget.
A Photographer Who Gets You
Your wedding day should feel like you—so we’ll help you choose a photographer who can bring your vision to life.
Feel comfortable with a photographer who perfectly matches your style and personality.
Peace of Mind
We relentlessly qualify every photographer, and we put an equally talented professional on backup for your wedding—just in case.
Let us sweat the details so you can relax and enjoy your once-in-a-lifetime day.