What You Need to Know About How to Choose Your Wedding Date in Metro Detroit
**UPDATED FOR 2023, 2024 weddings**
Congratulations on saying “YES” to the love of your life! While you may be excited to jump into wedding planning, it’s important to take some time to focus on the pre-planning stage, starting with selecting your wedding date. Your wedding date is a critical aspect that will shape many of your upcoming decisions, such as booking vendors and finalizing details.
In Metro Detroit, there are several factors to consider when picking the perfect day to tie the knot. To help you make this important decision, we’ve compiled some useful tips for choosing your perfect wedding date.
How Soon Should You Pick a Wedding Day?
Every couple has a unique timeline for selecting their wedding date.
- Some prefer a short engagement and begin planning right after choosing a date.
- Others prefer to book a venue a few years in advance, allowing ample time for planning and enjoying their engagement.
- Some couples choose to bask in their engagement without thinking about planning until a few months or even a year down the road.
Ultimately, the decision of when to choose a date is entirely up to you. However, it’s important to note that venues and vendors typically book well in advance. If you have your heart set on a particular date, venue, or wedding photographer, it’s best to set your wedding date early to ensure availability and book quickly.
What Should You Consider When Setting a Date?
- Consider the Weather: Metro Detroit experiences all four seasons, each with its own unique weather patterns. Summer months can be hot and humid, while winter months can be bitterly cold and snowy. Consider the time of year when you want to get married and plan accordingly. Keep in mind that popular wedding dates such as June and September tend to book up quickly, so if you’re set on a particular date, book early. Read More: What Season Should I Get Married?
- Check for Conflicts: Check your preferred wedding date against any important events or holidays in Metro Detroit. Major events, such as the Detroit Auto Show, can impact hotel availability and transportation, making it difficult for out-of-town guests to attend. Check with your venue to ensure that there are no conflicts on the date you have in mind. Read More: Wedding Dates to (Potentially) Avoid in 2023 & 2024
- Consider Peak Wedding Season: Peak wedding season in Metro Detroit typically runs from May through October. During this time, wedding venues and vendors are in high demand, which can make it difficult to secure your preferred date. If you’re flexible on your wedding date, consider getting married during the off-season months of November through April when vendors and venues are more readily available.
- Think About Your Budget: Your wedding date can also impact your budget. Wedding venues and vendors may charge higher rates during peak season and on weekends. If you’re working with a tight budget, consider getting married on a weekday or during the off-season months. FREE DOWNLOAD: Wedding Budget Workbook
- Personal Significance: Finally, consider any personal significance that your wedding date may have. Perhaps you want to get married on the same day as your parents’ wedding anniversary, or on the day you first met. Choosing a meaningful date can make your wedding day even more special.
Pro Tip: Before choosing a wedding, take some time to envision your wedding. What does it look like? This should help narrow your options to a certain time of year.
Who Should You Consider When Setting a Date?
While your wedding date is ultimately your decision, you’ll definitely want to take others into account. Check in with your closest friends and family to get an idea of some of their future plans.
- Do they have other weddings to attend?
- Are they planning any travels?
- If there is anyone that you could not imagine saying “I Do” without being there, then take their schedules into consideration.
- Think about your guest list. Do you have plenty of out-of-town guests that may find it difficult to travel during the school year? Are there holidays that you should consider? Keep these things in mind when choosing your wedding date, and don’t take it to heart if you receive more “no” RSVPs than expected.
Think About Your Love Story
At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that your wedding is the next chapter of your love story. Think about some milestones throughout your relationship, and consider choosing a wedding date based on those. How romantic would it be to get married on the date you first met, or on the day you officially became a couple?
Pro Tip: If going this route, include the significance of the day on your wedding programs. Guests will love to learn why the date is so important to you. Bonus: Your wedding photographer will LOVE capturing those sweet details.
Looking for more resources?
Download our step-by-step guide to choosing your wedding date.
The Mike Staff Productions Guarantee
At Mike Staff Productions, we trust that you’ll choose the perfect person to work with because you know what you want on your wedding day! There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all wedding photographer, DJ or videographer – we get that, that’s why we invite you to be a part of the planning process.
Let’s bring your wedding vision to life!